After receiving an invitation to visit the rodeo I’m was agreed immediately. Because a few days ago on the Internet I was looking for information about when and where I can see such a wonderful event for European eyes.
Rodeo – is a sport where the cowboys compete in the ability to tame a wild horse or bull. Today, the rodeo is a traditional American sport, while it originated in Spain and Mexico.
Cowboy in the USA – it’s a lifestyle, but in the past they was name like that a herdsman of cattle.
Cowboys, as a species, have their origin in the 19th century. At that time they were ordinary herdsmen and they did quite a difficult job, which required considerable skill and craftsmanship. They were driven to advance the giant herd of wild bulls. The problem was also that the pasture at the time were not fenced and herds were constantly mixed or even ran. From this time originates a sport like rodeo. With that, until now there is a dispute about whether or not to consider a rodeo like a professional sport or just like the entertainment.
However, today the rodeo – it’s an event in the lives of Americans and citizens of other countries involved. By the way, it is worth a visit. I was very surprised by the skill of the participants and speed of execution of tasks.
It all started with the fact that in the middle of the arena came out a clown. He engaged in dialogue with one of the leading, he always joked and commented on everything, just to diverting attention from the participants, who were preparing to march. The arena itself, where was a show has a rectangular shape. At its center were the competition, for that reason this part was enclosed by borders and covered with sand. Behind the entire length of “rectangle” were planted people across its width – were participants, animals and leading.
I was looking around and pleasantly surprised by what is happening around me with bated breath I was waiting for the start of the competition.
1. The first one that I saw called Steer wrestling or Bulldogging. The task of a cowboy is that in just a few seconds to catch up on a horse fleeing calf. The moment when the horse is approximately equal to the calf, the cowboy has to jump off the horse, grab the horns of the calf, and throw down on the ground. This kind of competition is one of the most physically dangerous throughout the match, because is easy to fall off from the horse into the horns of the calf. The winner is the one who will do the job correctly and the fastest.
2. Calf roping. The task of the cowboy is to pursue a calf on horseback, throw the lasso on the horns of, jump off the horse, run to the calf, throw down him on the ground and tie three legs together. In the past, this method of catching cattle are often used in the daily work of the cowboys. Victory conditions are similar to the previous one.
3. Barrel racing. Around the perimeter of the arena in the equidistant distance are arranged three barrels, creating a triangle. The participants’ task is – to ride a horse galloping along the line and then jump on each barrel turns and return to the starting position. Who will make these things more fast and does not bring down any drums – wins. As a general rule in this part of the competition involved a girl. Because it is the most secure part of the competitions. Girls were previously allowed to participate in the rodeo, but after a few unfortunate situations happened rodeo associations decided to restricted their rights. Therefore, today the rodeo is mainly a male sport.
4. Bronc riding. This part of the competition, one of the most famous in the world. It is here that the cowboy should be as long as possible to sit on a wild horse that tries to do her best to throw it out of the saddle. As a rule, before participated in these competitions really wild horse, so any attempt to ride them, they immediately threw the rider. Now, using trained horses, but to provoke aggressive behavior for the horse they tightened the belt body in the area of the hind legs, which causes incredible pain in horses and she begins to raise its hind legs to the top, because in this way the pressure force of the belt is reduced. Who is able to longest to hold out on the “mad” horse – is winner.
5. Bull riding. This is the most dangerous part of the competition. Because, in principle, the bulls do not accept riders. They are very aggressive and strong. Thats why, during this stage of the competition there is another clown whose task is to attract the attention of the bull after he throw the rider, because a bull can gore a man. In fact it is very difficult to keep seat on a furious bull, and very dangerous. Therefore, all participants of the contest is put on the head of a special iron helmets that protect the head from bumps. Terms win here are similar to those Bronk ridding.
In between the stages of the competition they were entertained us as they could: a parade of horses and riders, dressed in Indian style, which is very beautiful prancing horses; one of the clowns extreme skiing on a motorbike; parade rodeo queens (this is a separate competition involving a girl, and later the winner decorate various rodeos – events).
All this was accompanied by constant applause and comments of the audience, who enthusiastically discussed everything. Enthusiasm viewers could also be seen in their clothes, because almost everyone from small to great was dressed in cowboy style: boots, hat, plaid shirt, jeans, belts.
As a result, we got a wonderful evening filled with positive emotions. That day I discovered a new world – the world of rodeo.
I am very grateful to all those who invited me to this event! Thanks you all so much!